Rippers Weekly Recap 5/07: Jerome Powell, Crazy Markets, Earnings and Much More
Hey Rippers fam!
Hey everyone, it’s Evan! But I’m better known online as @StockMKTNewz. If you know me, you know I tweet way too much for any sane person to track. So, I thought I would narrow down my hundreds of tweets to get you caught up here in under 5 minutes on all the news from today you need to know!
Today, we're doing a quick recap of the best and worst of the markets, the biggest headlines, and the latest earnings of the week!
This newsletter is sponsored by:
How The Stock Market Performed This Week
The Major Indexes
Here's how the major indexes performed this past week
S&P 500 $SPY was down 0.2%
Dow Jones $DJIA was down 0.2%
NASDAQ 100 $QQQ was down 1.5%
— Stock Market News (@StockMKTNewz)
May 6, 2022
Heat Map of the S&P 500
How The Largest Stocks Performed
Best Performing Large Cap Stocks
Worst Performing Large Cap Stocks
**All images are via Finviz.com**
Time in the Market Beats Timing the Market
Around 90% of day traders underperform the market, supporting Warren Buffett’s idea that time in the market is better than timing the market.
The best way to maximize your time “in” the market is through regularly scheduled investments.
Did you know that FTX US lets you schedule regular buys directly from your bank account, whenever you want?
Daily, weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, you pick the cadence for your portfolio. The best part? FTX US just announced stocks are coming soon.
There are no fixed minimum fees on transactions, and no ACH transaction fees whatsoever.
Major Earnings This Week
AMD reported earnings on Tuesday after the market closed posting numbers of:
- EPS of $1.09 beating expectations of $0.90
- Rev of $5.89B beating expectations of $5.52B
History of AMD’s Q1 Revenue $AMD
— Bullish Rippers (@BullishRippers)
May 3, 2022
AMD said next quarter it expects revenue between $6.3B-$6.7B compared to estimates of $6.38B
Airbnb reported earnings on Tuesday after the market closed posting numbers of:
- EPS of -$0.03)beating expectations of -$0.28
- Rev of $1.51B beating expectations $1.45B
Airbnb said next quarter it expects revenue to be between $2.03B-$2.13B above estimates of $1.97B
Shopify reported earnings on Tuesday before the market opened posting numbers of:
- EPS of $0.20 missing expectations of $1.00
- Rev of $1.20B missing expectations of $1.25B
Shopify announced it has reached a deal to acquire Deliverr "a fulfillment technology provider" for ~$2.1B in cash
Block (Square) reported earnings on Thursday after the market closed posting numbers of:
- EPS of $0.18 in line with expectations
- Rev of $3.96B missing expectations of $4.23B
Draftkings reported earnings on Friday before the market opened posting numbers of:
- EPS of -$0.80 beating expectations of -$0.82
- Rev of $473.3M beating expectations of $442.5M
Draftkings ended the quarter with ~2 Million monthly unique players up 29% YoY
Starbucks reported earnings on Tuesday before the market opened posting numbers of:
- EPS of $0.59 missing expectations of $0.60
- Rev of $7.64B beating expectations of $7.61B
Moderna reported earnings on Wednesday before the market opened posting numbers of:
- EPS of $8.58 beating expectations of $5.18
- Rev of $6.07B beating expectations of $4.43B
Lucid reported earnings on Thursday after the market closed posting numbers of:
- EPS of -$0.05 beating expectations of $0.30
- Rev of $57.7M beating expectations of $53.4M
Lucid delivered a total of 360 vehicles in Q1 to customers
Non-Earnings Headlines From This Week
- Pepsi declared its 50th consecutive annual dividend increase with a quarterly dividend of $1.15 per share up from its previous dividend of $1.08 per share - Yahoo
- Apple has hired 31 year Ford veteran Desi Ujkashevic to help ramp its Apple Car project - Tech Crunch
- Tiger Global was down 15% in April bringing its loss for the year up to down 44% - Bloomberg
- FOMC results and Press Conference:
- The FOMC has decided to raise rates by 50BPs to between 0.75-1%
- Jerome Powell said there's nothing in the economy that implies we're on the verge of a recession
- Robinhood announced its introducing Stock Lending letting users lend out any fully paid stocks in their portfolio and get paid when there’s a match - Blog
- Costco reported net sales of $17.33B for April up 13.9% YoY - Newswire
- Palantir announced the Department of Health and Human Services selected Palantir for a 5-year $90M contract - Businesswire
- Tesla has reportedly picked a location to build its 2nd production line in Shanghai that would add an additional 450,000 units of annual capacity - SCMP
- Ford delivered a total of 176,965 vehicles in the US during April down 10.5% YoY, with 16,779 of those being EVs up 50.2% YoY - Ford
- Nancy Pelosi filed showing she owns 2,419 shares of Warner Bros Discovery, which she received when it was spun out of AT&T - CongressTrading
- Elon Musk is changing the financing for his Twitter bid reducing the size of the margin loan he's taking on to $6.25B from $12.5B - Edgar
- The $6.25B will now be coming from various equity investors
- Peloton is reportedly pursuing potential investors that could take a 15%-20% stake in the company - WSJ
- New York regulators approved a second batch of applications for recreational marijuana cultivators as the state prepares for the launch of retail sales “later this year” - Marijuana Moment
- Google confirmed it has agreed to the acquire Raxium, "an innovator in single panel MicroLED display technologies” - Blog
- Elon Musk is expected to serve as temporary CEO of Twitter for a few months after the deal closes - CNBC
- Microsoft teamed up with Volkswagen to make HoloLens work in cars - The Verge
Get Prepared For Next Week
Want more Content?
That's it for today — thanks for reading Rippers! Stay bullish, and we'll see you all in the next one 🔥 In the meantime, check out our weekly Twitter Spaces and give us a follow on Twitter!